Thursday, July 14, 2016

COACH POPOVICH & TIM DUNCAN RELATIONSHIP SUMS UP SPURS CULTURE

I saw these series of quotes from Coach Gregg Popovich regarding Tim Duncan and thought it summed up the San Antonio culture and why they were able to win at such a high level for such an extended period of time.

“There are a lot of guys and teams in this league that I couldn’t walk in the gym and try to coach them, because I’m going to be too direct, and that’s what we believe.  If you did poorly, we’re going to tell you.  If you did well, we’re going to tell you.  If Timmy (Duncan) isn’t rebounding, I’m going to get on him just like the 11th or 12th guy on the team.

There are a lot of stars out there who can’t handle that.  They don’t want to be criticized at all.  But Tim’s comfortable enough in his own skin to know that I’m gonna tell him right between the eye’s what’s going on.

He also knows that, win or lose, at the end of the day, I’m going to love him, we’re going to get a bite to eat, think about our families.”